Instructions for Bowel Prep For Neobladder Cystectomy Patients
** 2 Days Before Surgery: Patient May East Breakfast Before 9am. Everything After Clear Liquid Diet.
- Patient should start a clear liquid diet for 48 hours prior to surgery (2 days). This is anything that you can see through (clear broth, apple juice, cranberry juice, 7-up, etc.).
- At 3 PM the day before surgery: Drink 1 10-OZ bottle of magnesium citrate (can be purchased in pharmacy over-the-counter).
- Drink plenty of fluids (again, clear liquids), especially the day before surgery.
- Take 1 Tablespoon of Mineral Oil at bedtime the night before surgery.
- Nothing to eat or drink after midnight the night before surgery.
- Discontinue any aspirin, Coumadin or anti-inflammatory medications 7 days before surgery. Also, discontinue any vitamin or herbal preparations 7 days before surgery (Tylenol is OK).
- If you are a diabetic, please check with your doctor regarding your diabetes medication, as you will be on a clear liquid diet for 2 days.
- If you take blood pressure medications in the morning, please take them with a very small sip of water the morning of your surgery.